History of St. Maron’s Church in Cleveland

Year

Event

2005
September

Father Peter Karam becomes the new pastor.

2005
August

Chorbishop Bernard Khachan retires after serving as pastor for 18 years.

2004
January

Bishop Shaheen appoints Father Charles Khachan as Associate Pastor

2000

Saint Maron Cleveland hosts the Midwest Regional NAM Convention

1999

The Church was still too small to accomodate the large number of parishoners. With Chor Bishop Khachan’s Guidance, the Church was enlarged, with a new section added to the east side of the Church.

1998

Due to the new, neighbouring baseball field, limited parking was available for parishoners. To accommodate this need, the social hall was torn down and a new two-story parking garage was erected in its place.

1997

A new addition to the west side of the church was opened to accomodate the increasing number of parishoners.

1996

New church council was elected and a social committee was formed to organize the social activities of the church.

1995

Monsignor Bernard Khachan was elevated to the rank of Chor-Bishop by his excellency Bishop John Chedid .

1994
June

St Maron parish became part of the newly formed Eparchy of Our Lady of Lebanon of Los Angeles under the guidance of Bishop John Chedid.

1990
July 8th

Celebration of the Seventy-Fifth Anniversary of St. Maron Parish

1988

Fr. Khachan was given the title of “Monsignor” at the request of Archbishop Francis M. Zayek.

1987
December

Fr. Bernard Khachan became Pastor of St. Maron Parish

Celebration of the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Immaculate conception Sodality

1987
April 5th

George Khoury, son of the late Michael and Zahida Khoury, was ordained to the Permanent Diaconate

Celebration of Silver Anniversary of Ordination of Chor-Bishop Dominic Ashkar

1986
February 8th

Celebration of the Silver Anniversary of Bishop Francis M. Zayek as Bishop of the Maronite Diocese of the United States. Guest speakers: Bishop Anthony M. Pilla, Archbishop Pio Laghi (Apostolic Pro Nuncio), and Congresswoman Mary Rose Oakar

1986

Chor-Bishop Dominic Ashkar became Pastor of St. Maron Parish

1984
June 16th

Fr. James Root was ordained to the priesthood by Archbishop Francis M. Zayek

1984

St. Maron hosted the N.A.M. (National Association of Maronites) Convention

1983
June 5th

James Root, son of Peter and the late Mary Root, received the sacred order of diaconate

1983

Completion of the Administration Building

Twentieth Anniversary of Archbishop Francis M. Zayek as Bishop of the Maronite Diocese of the United States. Guest Speaker: Bishop Anthony M. Pilla

1982

Celebration of the elevation of Bishop Francis M. Zayek to Archbishop

1981

Second renovation of the church

1978

Fr. Elias Abi-Sarkis became Pastor of St. Maron Parish

1977
September 17th

William Bartoul, son of Millet and Eunice Bartoul, was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Francis M. Zayek

1976
October 24th

Celebration of Msgr. El- Hayek’s Silver Anniversary of Ordination

1976
May 9th

Silver Anniversary of Chor-Bishop Feghali’s service as Pastor of St. Maron, and Farewell dinner prior to his departure to a new assignment as Rector of St. Maron Cathedral, Detroit, Michigan.

Msgr. Elias El-Hayek became pastor of St. Maron Parish

1974
September 29th

James Peters, son of the late Phillip and Theresa Peters, was ordained Sub- Deacon

1974

Return visit of Dr. Charles H. Malik for “Day of Prayer for World Peace”

1973

Feast Day Celebration – Guest of Honor: Guest of Honor: Most Reverend John Cardinal Krol, Archbishop of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

1971
March 28th

On the Silver Anniversary of his ordination, Msgr. Joseph Feghali was elevated to the rank of Chor-Bishop; Feast Day Celebration – Guest of Honor: The Honorable Talcott W. Seelye, U.S. State Department Director for Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, and Syria

1970

Feast Day Celebration – Guest of Honor: Most Reverend Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

1969

Feast Day Celebration – Guest of Honor: Most Reverend John Cardinal Deardon, Archbishop of the Diocese of Detroit, Michigan; also present, Most Reverend Luigi Ramondi, Apostolic Delegate to the United States

1968

Testimonial Banquet in honor of Bishop Clarence G. Issenmann on the occasion of his appointment as Bishop of the Diocese of Cleveland

1967

Celebration for Bishop Francis M. Zayek on the occasion of his appointment as the first Maronite Apostolic Exarch for the Unites States; Toastmaster for the Banquet was Danny Thomas

1965
May 23

Golden Jubilee of St. Maron church; Guest Speakers at Banquet: Archbishop Edward F. Hoban and Honorable Ibraham Ahdab, Ambassador of Lebanon to the United States

1963

Feast Day Celebration – Testimonial Dinner in honor of Auxiliary Bishop Clarence E. Elwell

1962

Visit from Maronite Patriarch Paul Meouchi from Lebanon; he was accompanied by Bishop Anthony Khoriache; a three day celebration was held;St. Maron parishioners joined the Italian community and A.C.I.M. (American Committee of Italian Migration) in honoring Mayor Anthony J. Celebrezze at a Banquet at the Carter Hotel

1961
March 20th

Testimonial and Farewell Dinner for Most Rev. John J. Krol, on the occasion of his appointment as Archbishop of Philadelphia

1960

Feast Day Celebration – Honorable Dr. Charles Malik, President of the United Nations Assembly was Guest of Honor

1957
June 13th

Fr. Joseph Feghali received the title of “Very Reverend Monsignor” from Rome at the request of Archbishop Hoban

1955
April 17th

Bishop Edward F. Hoban consecrated three new altars, as well as windows and paintings donated by parishioners after the renovation of the church

1953
July 29th

Fr. Joseph Feghali became Pastor of St. Maron Parish

1952
June 29th

Golden Jubilee of Ordination for Fr. Joseph Komaid, and Twenty-fifth Anniversary of his tenure as Pastor; also, date of his untimely death

1951
April 9th

Fr. Joseph Feghali, born in Hazmieh, Lebanon, arrived in the United States to become assistant to Fr. Joseph Kommaid

Construction of new rectory completed; Old church was sold.

1940

Solemnities of transfer by Archbishop Schrembs; Celebration at Carter Hotel; Saloum Mokarzel, Editor of Al-Hoda, Arabic newspaper, was Guest Speaker

1939

We acquired possession of St. Anthony church, 1245 Carnegie Avenue, Cleveland

1927

Fr. Joseph Komaid, a Chrimean Missionary born in Sahel Alma, Lebanon, was asked by Archbishop Schrembs to become Pastor of St. Maron Parish

1925

Msgr. Namthallah Beggiani, from the village of Beit Chebab, became our fourth Pastor until his death, two years later, at the age of forty-nine

1924

Fr. Anthony Yezbek became pastor for one year, was then transferred to St. Maron Parish, Youngstown, Ohio

1921

Msgr. Louis Zouain, from Ghazeer, Lebanon, replaced Fr. Chalala

1916
April 2nd

Bishop John P. Farrelly consecrated our first church

1915

Two story apartment purchased an remodeled into Church and Rectory; Fr. Peter Chalala arrived from Baalbek, Lebanon, to be our first Pastor

Clergy

Pastor Monsignor Peter Karam
Father Alex Harb
Deacon Reverend George Khoury
Sub-deacons Mr. Bechara Daher
Mr. Georges Faddoul
Mr. Lattouf Lattouf
Mr. Ghazi Faddoul

Download the Latest Bulletin

Upcoming Events

  • No events.